Monday, September 7, 2009

NYC...The Surprise!

In November 2008, David’s grandmother, Virginia Mason Pointelin, left this earthly life. Several years prior to her death, she had asked David’s mother to set aside a certain amount of money for each of the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. At her memorial service, David received an envelope with this gift of cash. At that time, we decided that we would use Grandma ‘Ginia’s gift to fulfill our dream to see New York City.

I had been considering planning a trip to New York for David’s birthday. However, once I began investigating the cost, I talked with David and we decided it was just going to cost a bit more than we wanted to spend right now. Also, David had just changed jobs within Alcon and didn’t really feel it was right to ask for time off work soon after his transfer.

Shortly after that discussion, two of our dear friends, Kim and Anthony Brandon were killed very tragically in a car accident. They left behind 3 young daughters. Alicia and Shelby had just graduated from high school, and Vanessa had just recently gotten married. This was a tremendous wake up call for all of us, and I decided it was time to “Carpe Diem” and try to surprise David with a trip to New York for his birthday.

My brother, Shaylor, works in the Alcon group which David had just transferred to. I asked Shaylor if he could check with David’s boss to determine if it would be okay for him to have a couple of days off work. David’s new schedule is Friday through Monday, four days 10 hours each. I asked if he could possibly have a Monday and Friday, either or both, off work. Shaylor followed through with David’s boss noting that this would be a surprise and the days off were approved.

One thing that we have always desired to do is to travel the Grand Slam Tennis series. David’s birthday was on a Tuesday and the US Open first round games were in progress during our stay in NY City. I purchased airfare and tennis tickets and made a hotel reservation. Both of the boys knew, as well as mine and David’s parents but we tried our absolute best to keep it a secret from him.

Given that we would be in New York on David’s birthday, I made a canvas sign for him that read, “I’m celebrating my 49th birthday TODAY”. The TODAY show logo was on the bottom of the sign.

We were flying out on Monday morning. Given that B&Z are in school in Stephenville, I suggested that we meet the boys and David’s parents for dinner after he got off work on Sunday afternoon to celebrate his birthday and then we would have dinner for the 2 of us on his actual birthday.

As soon as he left for work on Sunday morning, I began checking off the tasks to be completed for the day. Packing for both of us was the biggest challenge…but I just threw in everything I could until I reached the luggage weight limit. I made a hotel reservation for us to stay near the airport on Sunday night to make our Monday morning drive a bit easier. I checked us into the hotel (to get rid of our luggage from my car), took a cake to David’s parent’s house and then picked him up from work.

David was all set to go to dinner once we met up with the boys and his parents. But I knew that we had to let the cat out of the bag. So, I suggested we open gifts first. He opened a couple of things and then I gave him the box with the card, the NYC guide books and maps, and the sign for the Today show.

He was totally shocked. He understood that we were going to NY, but figured it would be in a few days. Then I shared with him that he would not be going back to work before our trip and that we were flying out on Monday morning. We enjoyed dinner with the family at New York Joe’s, returned to Margie and Gary’s for cake and then made our way to the airport hotel. He did have an opportunity to review what I had packed for him, and the only thing I really missed was that I got the wrong pair of dress shoes. Still wearable, but not as comfortable as his preferred pair.

Stay tuned for a day by day summary of our trip.....