Tuesday, December 9, 2008

LA trip #3 - Pistachios

My flight to LA was fairly uneventful. The plane was about 60% occupied so there were plenty of empty seats, overhead storage etc.

However, the return flight from LA was a different story. It all started with the long security line. One security line serviced AA gates 40-49 (A and B) and the wait was, shall we say, lengthy. I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, but the long security line delayed my arrival at the departure gate. Passing through security, I proceeded to the gate, one last stop at the restroom and as I walked to the gate, the attendant announces "If you are holding a boarding pass for Flight XX, you need to be on the plane now."

The plane is full as are the overhead bins. I find a place for my suitcase several rows back from my seat, and slide past the aisle passenger to the window seat. It is almost time to depart from the gate, and the middle seat between us is empty. Whew, maybe this won't be so bad after all. The aisle passenger looks at me and says "Hey, looks like the seat between us will be empty."

It could not have been 2 minutes later, the stewardess walks by and eyes our empty middle seat. Next thing we know, she is back with a female passenger middle eastern dress. Full head wrap, etc and reading a book about Allah. So much for our empty middle seat. Seems there was a row in the back of the plane that all 3 seats were occupied and one had a lap child. So, I totally understand that it made sense to move one passenger to this middle seat.

We have backed away from the gate and guess what our middle seat passenger does? She digs in the seat pocket for the barf bag! I'm thinking, "Great. Now have we not only lost our empty middle seat but this is going to be a fun flight home!" I literally prayed, "Dear Lord, I know that she probably does not even believe in you, but please settle her stomach for the duration of this flight."

We continue to taxi down the tarmac and the entire time she is still reading her book. I am thinking that is a bit unusual as most people who get really motion sick will not read while the vehicle is moving. We accelerate, clear the ground, gain altitidue and the whole time, she is fine. Never grabbed the bag.....yea!

Once we have leveled, she reaches for the barf bag, leans over and grabs a huge handful of pistachios from her carry on, and proceeds to drop the empty shells into the barf bag. Never in my wildest would I have predicted this outcome! Upon telling my DH of this story, he has declared that he will never again travel without his pistachios!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Remind me one of these days to tell you about the Barfing Ayatollah somewhere over Pakistan.

JAMIE'S CREW said...

Well, travelling with the said barf bag may just freak out the next unsuspecting traveller! The joke would be on them, then.